Thursday, March 6, 2008

Ready... Set... ummm...Go???


Okay...so as you all can tell I am new to this whole "blog" thing...but I wanted to try something new and possibly (okay...totally!) jump on the whole blogger bandwagon. So, I'll just wait and see where this goes...bare with me please!

I have created this blog to help me gather my thoughts on issues going on in my life. So basically...this blog will consist of topics concerning my number one passion Sierra Leone, school, and my daily interactions with people...but most likely than not my thoughts on Sierra Leone. LoL, just giving other bloggers and inquirers a heads up!

One of the main things (if you haven't picked up on this yet...) that really led me to embark on this whole bloggers experience was as stated before, my beloved Salone. I always find it so funny how someone who was not born in Sierra Leone, has only visited once in her whole life (for only two weeks might I add!), be so ridiculously in love with the country! Sometimes I wonder what it is about my Salone that I adore so much...is it the people...the beautiful beaches...the spectacular night life...the music....the culture...the backwardness of the country...the lack of a healthcare system that can assist the masses...the corruption...the fact that most of the people live on less than a dollar a day...is it the fact that you can see someone driving down the street with one of the most expensive cars in the world...yet a child will be on that same road selling water (when he or she should be in school) drowning in their own misery??? Or is it a combination of it all...the good and the bad? I just wonder sometimes how a country blessed with so many natural resources and in the perfect location...be plagued by such a heart-wrenching and unfortunate situation? How is it that a country that was once regarded as the "Athens of West Africa", now have an illiteracy rate at about 60-70 percent? Whatever the case may be, I acknowledge Sierra Leone's stregnths and weaknesses and I hope by the grace of God to become one of the key players who will pioneer Sierra Leone to a level of greatness that has yet to be seen in Africa.

Okay...I just want to vent very quickly...I hate the fact that when I google Sierra Leone the things that always pop up are: Sierra Leone: war torn country, second poorest country in the world, blood diamonds, and a whole host of NGOs who are doing work (admirable work, might I add) in Sierra Leone. I mean, I know all of these things are facts, but Sierra Leone has so much more to offer...I guess basically what I am trying to say is that I would like to see more information on how this post war country is making strides, trying to recover from a decade long war...how we just held peaceful elections...that the country is no longer a battle ground...but who knows? One day, right...?

Nonetheless, it's 11:00pm and I have two quizzes tomorrow...yet I am on here blogging, lol. To be honest, I am just feeling really lazy right now and school work is the last thing on my mind. Hmm..but on the bright side, spring break will be coming up in one week!!! Yay!

This semester has been going by pretty fast...lol, even better. For those of you who know me, I am sure you will be able to put two and two together!

Anyway, I think I am really enjoying this whole bloggers world stuff...so like I said before, we will see where it takes me!

Peace!!!


No comments: