Sunday, October 5, 2008

Back to reality...but reality isn't too bad!


So, I have been on hiatus for sometime now...seems like forever! A lot has happened over these past few months or so, it just is too much to explain. I returned back to the US from my trip in sweet mama Salone about 2 months ago and I am starting to get back into the swing of things again, but believe me, when I came back to America I was on big time depression mode! I just could not (or would not) get Sierra Leone off of my mind. Going to Salone this past summer confirmed three things in my life, 1) that Sierra Leone is where I want to be living in the near future, 2) Sierra Leone def has a very promising future and 3)well I will keep that to myself...heeheehee....I digress.

From the time I arrived at Dulles Airport with my family and friends, the only things on my mind were, how much fun my cousin and I would have in Sierra Leone with our other loved ones to celebrate completing our four years in college.. But, much to my surprise ( I mean trust me I still had a blast) things had suddenly switched up and the airline company would not allow my cousin to board the flight because of some immigration issues....aaahhh!!! When you talk about prayers and serious persuasion tactics going on, man we tried everything! Nothing would work, the airline people said no and it was final. So here I was, I had my summer planned out to have such an amazing experience with my homegirl by my side and that just wasn't going to happen. Finally, we said our tear-filled good-byes and I proceeded to embark upon my journey back home alone.

After what seemed like a short plane trip, I arrived in London, Heathrow Airport, I set off to check myself in to board onto my other flight (bad mistake!) which was set to leave in an hour and a half or so. The problem was that I didn't need to check in again because I had already been electronically checked in all the way through back from America. So, here I was in London, by myself, in this huge airport, with confusing signs, and with 15 minutes to go before the gates for my flight to Sierra Leone to close (darn it!!!). Aye yah! If you could have seen me running through London's Heathrow airport...oh gosh! By the time I got to my departure gate, everyone had already boarded and the gates were just about to close on my behind. I was so out of breath I could barely speak (note to self...begin working out again!) but thanks be to God, I was able to board my flight, and off I went to see mama! I was so stoked!

From the moment I landed in Lungi Airport (Sierra Leone), I had VIP treatment...lol. I'm telling you when they say that a person can only be King or Queen in their own country...they definitely didn't lie! I was greeted at the baggage pickup area by my sweetheart and I was informed that a protocol officer would be taking care of everything from that point on for me (oh yeah...cool!). I made my way into the VIP waiting room, where I met with the likes of top government officials and millionaires who traveled to Sierra Leone for business, and I immediately thought to myself..."hmmm...I am in good company! This trip may not be too bad after all!" and indeed it wasn't. I had the time of my life, I enjoyed myself so much that I even extended my trip!

My life in Sierra Leone, seemed so unreal compared to my normal, mundane, type of lifestyle in the states. There is just something about that little country on the west coast of Africa!

What I know is that it was a life changing experience for me, and I thank God for the opportunity to go to Sierra Leone. The trip really confirmed some things for me and there are nothing but smiles over here in my little corner!

Take care and God bless.

Salone's Sweetheart

No comments: